Search
  • pineridgevet1000

Don't break my heart....keep me safe!





Valentine’s Day is almost here! It’s a day to share with the ones you love and celebrate with gifts of chocolate, candy, flowers and wine. These are lovely for us, but can be quite hazardous for our pets!!


Each year poison control experts see a rise in cases around February 14, many involving chocolate or lilies, a flower that’s potentially fatal to cats. Valentine’s Day can be as much fun for pets as it is for humans—as long as dangerous items are kept out of paws’ reach!


Pet-Safe Bouquets

When sending a floral arrangement to someone with a cat, specify that it contain no lilies—and when receiving an arrangement, sift through and remove all dangerous flora. If your pet is suffering from symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea, he may have ingested an offending flower or plant. Use our online toxic and nontoxic plant libraries as visual guides of what shouldn’t be in your bouquets.


Forbidden Chocolate

Seasoned pet lovers know that all types of chocolate are potentially life-threatening when ingested by pets. Methylxanthines are caffeine-like stimulants that affect gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac function—they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate. The high-fat content in lighter chocolates can potentially lead to a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Go ahead and indulge, but don’t leave chocolate out for chowhounds to find.


Careful with Cocktails

Spilled wine, a half a glass of champagne or some leftover liquor are nothing to cry over until a curious pet laps them up. Because animals are smaller than humans, a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if a large amount is ingested.


Life Is Sweet

So don’t let pets near treats sweetened with xylitol. If ingested, gum, candy and other treats that include this sweetener can result in hypoglycemia (a sudden drop in blood sugar). This can cause your pet to suffer depression, loss of coordination and seizures. We just had a case where a dog swallowed some Xylitol packages. Luckily Watson’s owners called us right away and is ok, but it can be a deadly toxin for dogs if ingested and not dealt with ASAP. https://www.facebook.com/PineRidgeVetClinic/photos/pcb.10157212767408795/10157212758498795/?type=3&theater


Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Don’t let pets near roses or other thorny-stemmed flowers. Biting, stepping on or swallowing their sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs. De-thorn your roses far away from pets.


Playing with Fire

It’s nice to set your evening a-glow with candlelight, but put out the fire when you leave the room. Pawing kittens and nosy pooches can burn themselves or cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles.


Wrap It Up

Gather up tape, ribbons, bows, wrapping paper, cellophane and balloons after presents have been opened—if swallowed, these long, stringy and “fun-to-chew” items can get lodged in your pet’s throat or digestive tract, causing her to choke or vomit.


Have a lovely Valentine’s Day, but keep the gifts to yourself away from your pets.

0 views

(905) 372-2721

(905) 372-4219

483 Ontario St, Cobourg, ON K9A 3C1, Canada

©2017 BY PINE RIDGE VETERINARY CLINIC. PROUDLY CREATED WITH WIX.COM